B.S. Computer Science | Southern Illinois University
May 2018 | GPA: 3.74
Front End Developer | TopstepTrader
June 2018 - Present
- Increase performance 300% through a site migration from Wordpress to a custom Node and Gulp solution
- Orchestrate Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy resulting in a 25% increase in organic search traffic
- Lead hiring process for front end development positions, implementing technical tests and question sets to verify skills
- Manage tracking pixels, analytics solutions, and attribution systems to monitor and measure all digital marketing efforts
Student Web Developer | Southern Illinois University
January 2014 - May 2018
- Designed and authored Python applications to speed up or automate bottlenecks in the team’s recurring workflows
- Organized and led classes detailing basic HTML, content creation, and best UI/UX practices for ~200 users
- Improved SEO site-wide through HTML meta descriptions, titles, content tags, structured data, and page content,
Web Developer Intern | MacUpdate
June 2016 - September 2017
- Created a custom front end module loader using Grunt and Node JS, which fully automated caching, bundling, and minification of front end assets, and reduced average page size by 15%, or ~250KB per page
- Organized an SEO audit, resulting in a 20% increase in organic search, equaling over 30,000 weekly sessions
- Designed and developed a customizable, metadata-driven automatic email system using PHP and MySQL, allowing marketing teammates to better target and track email campaigns and increase conversion rate
| personalist.smessina.com | 2018
PersonaList allows users to add comments to Spotify playlists, for easier playlist collaboration. PersonaList uses the Spotify API to pull data into a NodeJS server. The app is dynamically rendered with React, using the React Hooks API to acheive a functional model throughout the app.
| gitflow.smessina.com | 2017
Git Flow is an interactive git tutorial that walks users through a git workflow via a step-by-step flowchart. Written in React, tutorial content is dynamically generated by manipulating React component state as users work through the flowchart.
| orderuphookup.smessina.com | 2016
OrderUp HookUp is a restaurant locator, which uses a Node and Express REST API to cross-reference Google location services with the Yelp Fusion Cloud API to find nearby restaurants. OrderUpHookUp is rendered using Angular 1.